WnCC - Seasons of Code
Seasons of Code is a programme launched by WnCC along the lines of the Google Summer of Code. It provides one with an opprtunity to learn and participate in a variety of interesting projects under the mentorship of the very best in our institute.
List of Running Projects
- Browser Based PDF manager
- Resume Script Generator
- Physicc : A Simple Physics Engine
- Image Colorization
- Language Model Based Syntax Autocompletion in a Text Editor
- Computer vision based web app
- Cribbit Cribbit (Open for PGs Only)
- Techster Texter
- Language Detection
- Book Tracker
- ResoBin - Not the bin we deserve but the bin we need!
- Agree to disagree
- Watson (World's smartest assistant in your pocket)
- Meta Learning - Learning to Learn
- Break free of the matrix, by building one!
- Procedurally Generated Infinite Open World
- Introduction to App Development
- PAC MAN
- Introduction to Web Development
- Goal ICPC
- Traffic congestion modelling and rendering
- Tools for Data Science
- Machine Learning Based Metropolitan Air Pollution Estimation
- Audio controlled drone
- NLPlay with Transformers
- DIY FaceApp
- A Deep Dive into CNNs
- Competitive Coding
- Snake AI
- Facial Recognition App
- Gaming meets AI !!!
- R(ea)L Trader
- Computational Geometry
- Deep reinforcement learning - 2048 AI
- Reinforcement Learning to Finance
- Developing Hybrid ANN-Statistical Model for Robust Stock Market Prediction
- Astronomical Data-modelling and Interpretation
- Visual Perception for Self Driving Cars
- Convolutional Neural Networks and Applications
- Quantum Computing Algorithms
- Algorithm Visualizer
- Anime Club IITB Website using Django
- Machine Learning in Browser
InstiApp is a WnCC initiative to create a unified platform for everything that happens inside IIT Bombay.
The chief component of this is events, which aims for students being kept updated with talks, competitions and even informal events happening inside the institute. The broad aim is not only to reduce dependence on social media and word of mouth, but to make this a one-stop solution for all informative, as well as promotional needs.
The project has three sections:
- The API Backend of the app, which is a RESTful API in Django. This project enforces very strict coding standards and testing routines, so you will essentially learn not only Python and Django, but software development as a whole.
- A native Android App, which is a separate project
If you are not already familiar with these, you will also learn what REST is, how APIs function, writing tests and ensuring code coverage, what are the security issues and how they are fixed, authorization and authentication in a highly complex permissions model, working with relational databases, search engine optimization, continuous integration and delivery (DevOps) and so on.
Development has already started and basic functionality including events, institute bodies, authorization, placement and training blogs etc. is implemented, so you can skip the boring framework parts and directly jump to really developing something interesting.
- The PWA (with the backend) in its current stage is deployed at IITB Gymkhana and a staging server. You can also explore the API at the backend staging server.
- The backend repository can be found at GitHub wncc/IITBapp
- The Web Application is under development at pulsejet/iitb-app-angular
- The Android App is under development at wncc/IITB-App
For the backend, you can get a broad idea of what you will be working on by browsing the current and past issues at GitHub.
Work to be done
- Implementation of the much-wanted mess menu feature
- Development of a news feed, which will aggregate and display news from various institute bodies.
- Implementation of event tagging
- Implementing the backend and frontend for the map view
- Improving the heuristic used for prioritizing events for users
- Creating the backend for push notifications (Firebase Cloud Messaging)
- Promotional and featured events
- Expanding the existing API further
- Bug hunting and fixing
- More features, which are too many to list here
- Further ideation
Include your vision and a general idea of how such an app would be useful for students (or anyone else). Include your ideas on how this could be further expanded, what possible things could be added etc. Make sure you put in your existing work and why you want to work on this. Also state which section you preferentially want to work on, which can be any of Backend, Frontend or Full Stack.